A simple dessert featuring our favourite local chocolate
A delicious olive oil cake that celebrates one of our favourite local producers here in Mudgee, Spencer Cocoa. This simple recipe is dairy and gluten-free, it’s also incredibly moist and keeps well for several days.
Kim uses mild good quality extra virgin olive oil, the quality is important because you do taste the flavour of the oil, the same goes for the nut meal you use. This recipe calls for ground walnuts, but you can easily use almond or hazelnut, Kim just happens to love the combination of walnut and chocolate.
- 250grams Spencer dark chocolate
- 3 large eggs
- 200grams sugar ( I used brown but you can use any sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150ml olive oil
- 125ml coconut milk (if preferred, you can use coconut cream)
- 500 grams of walnut meal (pulse in a food processor until very fine)
- Heat oven to 170 degrees celcius.
- Melt the chocolate over hot water or in the microwave.
- With an electric mixer, mix the sugar, eggs and vanilla together for a few minutes, until thick and creamy.
- Add the olive oil in a thin stream while still beating and beat for another minute.
- Add the coconut milk or cream and the melted chocolate.
- Gently fold in the walnut meal until just combined.
- Line a cake tin with baking paper, pour the cake mix in to the tin.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until set. Remember this is a very moist and dense cake so a skewer to test for doneness may not come our dry.
- Allow to cool (if you must) and serve with yoghurt or coconut ice-cream.